Call Us For Clogged Sinks 403 255 3555 Clogged Showers 403 255 3555 Sewer Main Clogs 403 255 3555 Clogged Toilets Video Inspections Vac Trucks and much more
Welcome to the Calgary Drain Cleaning web site. This site is part of the internetworld.ca
Corp portal. This web-site has information related to your shower drain, clogged sink, kitchen sink clogged with grease as well as main sewer clogs from tree roots,
grease build-up. Be sure to visit our other Calgary tips sites related to furnace repairs, furnace cleaning, Calgary waterheaters, boilers and many others.
Top Four Ways To Clear Your Drains
A few leading reasons for clogging is caused by hair caught up near the p-trap. To prevent hair from going down the drains in showers and bath-tubs, use of hair traps to catch the hair before it enters the drain is a simple easy way to keep this clogging problem under control. Hair is a main source of clogged drain-lines in bathtubs and showers. Keeping hair from going into your tub and shower drains will greatly lesson the amount of clogging of the lines. Bathroom sinks - dental floss as well as hair going into the drain will cause clogging issues further down the line.
Plugged Kitchen and Bath Drains
Another common drain problem is with kitchen sink lines. To avoid having the clogging of the kitchen sink,
- Do not pour bacon, rice, grains, flower or other like fluids down your kitchen sink.
- If you use a garburator, remember to do regular maintenance on the garburators grinding mechanism. A poorly maintained garburator will not properly grind food that is flushed. These larger food particles will collect in the drain line and clog the drainage system.
- Flushing Limón or other natural degreasers down the kitchen drain line will keep the grease moving along.
Clogged Main Sewer-lines
The main drain (or main sewer-line) is the drain line that connects the building drain to the outside sewer drainage systems. Having the main building drain clog up can be an expensive and messy situation. Reasons for clogging vary from the actual sewer pipe being broken or collapsed due outside forces such as frost, ground shifting, and weak pipe materials. Also, improperly installed sewer-lines where by the sewer line has flat potions, or back graded portions of the pipe where sludge and sewage collect, then cause a back up. A great way to check for serious sewer pipe issues is with a sewer camera that will allow you to inspect the pipes for troubled areas. If your one of the lucky ones, you caught the sewer backing up into your home before a great deal of water was used for bathing or feces. Things to know about your main sewer are,
- Do not flush cat litter or any other like materials into your sewer lines
- Do not pour large amounts of grease, or other sludgy fluids into your drain systems. Grease traps for restaurants, as well as grease sump pits in garages and car washes catch grease and other sludge. These types of grease and sludge traps must be regularly cleaned out.
- Never flush paper towels, rags or other like materials down the drain. If the materials cannot easily break-down with water, they can get caught-up in your pipes, causing back-ups.
An important thing to mention is, if your sewer piping is made of cast or other older materials, the use of some harsher chemicals can erode the piping materials. History shows that replacements of older sewer pipes are a very real possibility. Due to the type of work that may be required to replace your sewer lines in the event of total failure, its best to replace your older main sewer lines with newer materials before doing any expensive yard work or above ground construction.
Tree Roots in drain-lines
Tree roots in the sewer-lines are common in areas with large trees. Willow, and female popular trees are famous for finding the water source in sewer-lines. Use of chemicals such as copper sulfates can keep the roots out of sewer lines.
Standing in water during a shower? Clogged shower drain? Having a plugged or clogged shower drain is a common problem in Calgary. Hair is more often than not the culprit. Hair Traps are a great way to prevent most of the hair from getting into the shower drain trap.
Garburator maintenance is recommended once a month to keep the main food grinding parts moving freely.
Click here for information on what you can do to prevent your garburator from smelling, or not properly grinding the food thereby disposing bigger pieces of food into the drain causing back-up and clogging problems. Remember never to pour grease into a garburator. Avoid disposing or stringy vegetables such as celery.
Clogged Main Sewer-line
If you've read this far, you must have one!
A clogged main sewer at any time is a nasty mess. To make matters worse, during times of heavy drain usages, is quite often the time of troubles. Reasons are a slowly draining main line will take a larger volume of water to show signs of backing up in the building.
Depending on how long you were using the facilities before noticing the sewage was draining into your basement, will depend on the mess at hand. Some of you have only a small area, with feces and other sewage sitting about, others will need to remove carpets and carpet underlay, drywall, and other materials to help keep the MOULD away.
If you're insured, its best to call your local Calgary Drain Cleaning Expert 403.247.1111, then call your insurance company. Ask your insurance company to send a restoration company to properly clean up the mess.
Chemicals and Your Drains
Drain cleaning chemicals, you see them advertised on TV, you see them sold in hardware stores. My advice is don't use them, they rarely work on stubborn clogs not to mention the environmental and human safety issues related to improper use of chemicals.rap.
- Sulphuric Acid is a very powerful chemical used in the drain industry. This acid is not recommended to use in cast iron or galvanized steel pipes, or near fine finishes. This acid will react very violently with hot water. In contact with metals, it will produce hydrogen vapors with risk of explosions. Bottom line, don't use it, call your contractor if you feel you have no other options with the use of chemicals.
- Hydrochloric Acid is another cleaner used in the drain industry. It is used mostly for descaling of drain lines. Again, don't use it, you can suffer bad burns if any of these two chemicals come in contact with your skin or worse yet, your eyes.
- Drano and other like products are used for light clogs. In many cases, if your sink is clogged with standing water, they simply will not work. Issues when using chemicals are when you are forced to call a professional, he must be careful not to damage his equipment and body with the acidic water. You will most likely end up paying more for the removal of the acidic water before the actual work can commence.